For Sanofi, worldwide leader in its sector, improving human health while remaining its competitive advantage is a major challenge. For this multinational company, managing with efficiency its portfolio of more than 100 projects, prioritizing them according to its strategy and optimizing the associated capabilities is vital.
In a changing environment with a strong international dimension, initiative portfolio management can be complex for a multinational company: multiple transverse stakeholders, from different cultures, collaborate daily on a significant number of projects. Also, beyond intercultural and organizational issues, there is the complexity of portfolio management: projects creation and follow up, centralization and sharing of information, alerts, business notifications and governance implementation.
In this context, how to use the powerful lever of technology to manage with efficiency its initiatives portfolio?
Providing in only 3 months a scalable success on one of Sanofi’s strategic goals, initiatives portfolio management, thanks to a tailor-made support and a digital solution, our business platform: here was the challenge.
Testimony from the Business Analyst at Sanofi and the Project Manager at iRevolution.
Aware of the opportunities offered by the digital revolution, the pharmaceutical industry is increasingly integrating new technologies into its business.
Worthing more than nine hundred billion dollars in sales, the global drug market is undergoing a major transformation. It is the sector that invests the most today in digital technologies, whether to meet its customers’ needs and expectations or to manage its projects and serve its strategy.
In the perspective of driving initiatives management efficiency, this major pharmaceutical group wishes to use the powerful lever of technology.
“At the beginning of the year, a new “Transformation & Performance Office” department was set up in all clinical trial management units. Coordinating and implementing a governance of the initiatives portfolio is one of its objectives. Not mature on the subject, we needed a partner to understand users’ expectations, but also to challenge and offer us a customized solution to manage our initiatives portfolio“, says the Business Analyst
In this specific context, this multinational company had a main constraint: change management.
“Looking for an effective approach to meet our complex business issue and having already collaborated with iRevolution on a major project, we wanted to continue this partnership because of their professionalism and the quality of their solutions.”
2. Our contribution
Thanks to the recent technological innovations, executing strategic challenges leading to business results in less than three months, using a personalized SaaS platform and tailor-made support is now possible.
“Sanofi asked us to help them manage their initiatives portfolio. A first version of the solution was implemented in only 2 weeks so that they can list their initiatives and have an overview of the associated capabilities, prioritize them according to the company’s strategy, set up communication and track ROI. Aware of the potential of our solution, Sanofi teams chose us as their long-term partner on this project,” says the Project Manager at iRevolution.
“OneSolution Platform, with more than 100 business components, can be customized and deployed in a short time-to-market.
To meet Sanofi’s needs, a first version of the solution was implemented in only 2 weeks. The teams were enthusiastic: the solution allows them to save time but also to facilitate work and discussions with business users and implement a specific process:
- The initiatives managers can create and report information about initiatives ongoing status
- The « Portfolio Management Office » can monitor and control initiatives
- The « Portfolio Governance Committee » can define which initiatives should be created, continued or stopped and manage the associated capabilities.
Thanks to the improvement of the platform, in less than three months of co-construction, iRevolution approach appears as a real accelerator for the implementation of complex processes.
Thanks to flexible data in a central platform, which can be analyzed and modified by pillar or by department, stakeholders can have an overall view of the initiatives portfolio and access the specific information they need”.
- How to animate a business initiative to avoid the stalling effect and reach business success?6 March 2019
- How to deploy business initiatives at scale in a short time-to-market to achieve its business objectives?4 March 2019
- How to enable a short time-to-market to be successful?1 March 2019
- How to deploy a new business model in a short time-to-market to reach success?22 February 2019
- How to monitor brand positioning and product performance online to reach business success?20 February 2019
3. Business outcomes
The approach, the technologies and the business team around this project enabled this multinational company to quickly obtain tangible benefits at three levels:
- At a business level: a new process has been implemented to save time, efficiency and agility. Digital technology represents a great opportunity to boost practices by learning to work in an agile mode.
- At a management level: governance has been set. The committees to support this portfolio have been defined.
- Technologically speaking: OneSolution Platform, a customizable platform, allows this leading pharmaceutical company to have a global view of its initiatives portfolio, facilitate decision-making, increase the impact of its initiatives and manage capabilities. All the teams already promote this new digital tool.
“We appreciate our collaboration with iRevolution. The approach is fast, simple and powerful. At the beginning of our partnership on this initiative, we had no governance, no processes and no digital solution to support our business activity. Thanks to this approach and their ability to challenge us on our needs, we were able to structure ourselves in a few months by:
- Defining precisely the picture of success,
- Implementing a first version of the platform,
- Defining the different committees to support this portfolio,
- Initiating change within the teams to ensure the new platform adoption.
After this first phase, we were able to define new objectives, says the Business Analyst at Sanofi:
- A stabilization phase that we believe is essential. As in any change management approach, it is about supporting teams so that they can adapt to change (a new process, a new solution and a new communication). This phase will also allow us to collect user feedbacks.
- A process and solution optimization phase next year, based on user feedbacks, in order to always meet stakeholders’ expectations”.
At the end of the project, Sanofi was able to ensure the success of its strategic initiatives within a very short time. Thanks to the digital lever, this multinational company has achieved much more than just a business success. It can now drive its governance according to its business objectives and manage its project portfolio in order to rationalize and optimize capabilities.
“I recommend this learning and co-construction approach to companies with similar issues“, concludes the Business Analyst at Sanofi.
The success of such an initiative is based on a business success approach thanks to:
- A tailor-made support as part of a strong partnership
- A change management process
- A continuous improvement loop
- A customizable digital solution (100+ business components) with simple and intuitive interfaces.
Through the combination of its services and its platform, OneSolution offers multinational companies a unique velocity of execution to meet new ambitions in their markets.